DID YOU KNOW?
In the last 4 years, fast-casual menus have seen a 32% increase in plant-based protein options and 65% more vegan options1. It's time to get ready to use and offer these products!
STOCK YOUR KITCHEN
When thinking about how to use these products, consider the application. Do you want to substitute directly for an item traditionally made with meat (such as a burger, sausage, or schnitzel) or just add minced protein to a sauce, omelet, etc.? Thanks to the many different formats available, you have lots of options.
PREP & SETUP
From a chef’s perspective, the great advantage of these products is that they are very simple to use. Kitchen organization can be pretty similar to your process for meat. However, avoid cooking these products on the same hob where you cook meat if you plan to offer them as vegetarian/vegan options.
COOKING & SERVING
Keep in mind that not everyone has tried meat alternatives before, so customers might be more critical than they are with “familiar” dishes.
Just as you would with meat, don't hesitate to add flavours, seasoning, and herbs to complete and enhance the dining experience. You can also add mushrooms and onions to increase the umami flavour.
5 REASONS TO USE MEAL ALTERNATIVES IN YOUR KITCHEN
- They give you an easy way to satisfy the growing number of consumers who want something besides meat.
- They're quick and easy to prepare.
- Their wide range of choices provide a blank slate for your creativity.
- They contain protein and fibre, which helps nourish your consumers and satisfies their hunger.
- Their familiar look and flavour lets you swap them into standard dishes without overhauling your recipes.