Flavour your protein
There are many ways to flavour your proteins without adding excess fat or calories.
- Coating: coat meat or fish with egg white mixed with spices, bread crumbs, quinoa, chia seeds, roasted rice, or crushed nuts. Add cayenne or curry for more kick.
- Stuffing: stuff meat with vegetables or mushrooms (duxelles) to enhance flavour. For grilled chicken, create a stuffing from tomatoes, basil, pine nuts, salt and pepper.
- Sauce/marinade: marinate meat or tofu with soy sauce, ginger, and spices, or switch it up with a blend of ponzu sauce, sesame oil, canola oil, rice vinegar, honey, and fresh ginger.
Global spice blends
Try these traditional spices to enhance flavour in healthy dishes.
- Dukkah: an Egyptian mix of hazelnuts, sesame seeds, coriander, and cumin. Use as a crust for lamb, chicken, fish, or tofu.
- Berber mix: used in Ethiopia, this mix usually contains hot peppers, black pepper, fenugreek, ginger, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves. Traditionally used in wats (stews).
- Khmeli Suneli: an Eastern European mix of warm, nutty, grassy, and bitter spices like fenugreek, coriander, savoury, and black peppercorns. Traditionally used in stews and meat dishes.
Fresh sauce ideas
- Fish: Zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, or eggplant cooked in broth with herbs.
- Poultry of fish: Virgin sauce (olive oil, lemon juice, diced tomatoes, onions and garlic).
- Pork or lamb: Carrots cooked in chicken broth with cumin.
- Fish or meat: Ginger and garlic deglazed in rice vinegar, plus veal stock, reduced and seasoned with soy sauce.
- Tofu: Soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger, chili, sugar.
Read more on the increasing pressure from regulators and general public on food service operators regarding their contribution to the global obesity rise:
Oversized meals have been shown to be a factor in obesity (01.2019) https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190129162359.htm
Larger portion servings in restaurants are a global issue (03.2019) https://www.worldhealth.net/news/larger-portions-serving-restaurants-are-global-issue/
Fast food vs fast casual – Which has more calories? (02.2019) https://consumer.healthday.com/vitamins-and-nutrition-information-27/food-and-nutrition-news-316/fast-food-versus-fast-casual-which-has-more-calories-742293.html
Restaurants have gotten a hall pass on obesity and it must end (08.2018) https://www.forbes.com/sites/hankcardello/2018/08/30/restaurants-have-gotten-a-hall-pass-on-obesity-and-it-must-end/#39fdc71e2d51
Death by diet: the race to transform the world's bad food habits (04.2019) https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nutrition-food-health-environment-ins/death-by-diet-the-race-to-transform-the-worlds-bad-food-habits-idUSKCN1S601Y